Not just our skin our nails also dry out during the winter months. Here are a few nail care secrets to help you take care of your nails during the cold weather:
- Moisturize Your Nails – After washing your hands, apply lotions and oils that contain ingredients that include natural oils such as jojoba oil, avocado oil, shea butter, and more. This process locks up moisture in your nails and helps preserve the cuticle seal and strengthen the nail itself.
- Don’t Clip and File Dry Nails – Clipping dry nails can split and fracture the layered protein structure of brittle nails. Before performing any nail procedures, wet your nails to soften and make it pliable.
- Care for your Cuticles – Nail health depends more on cuticle health. Ragged and rough cuticles hurt easily and look unattractive. Maintaining cuticle health is critical since these thin layers of skin actually work to shield and protect nails as they grow. They also block bacteria that are invading the nail bed. Use mild natural oils for a simple rubdown and leave it overnight to soothe and condition cuticles and fortify nails.
- Keep the Nails Short – Unlike short nails, long nails snag, crack and break especially during the winter months. So, trim them from time to time and apply a coat of protective polish to prevent them from splitting or breaking.
- Don’t Use harmful Chemicals – For effective winter nail care, avoid overexposure to harsh chemical agents such as soaps, dish detergent, and more. While you can’t completely get away from the usage of these products, you can wear gloves to keep your nails safe from hot water and harsh dish detergent.